Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Applied salicylic acid on pimples. Burned face, brown marks, crusting. How to heal burns?

Hi, I recently bought this 20% salicylic acid peel about 4 weeks ago and applied it as a spot treatment to my face. The company i purchased the peel from is call Perfect Image, and according to their FAQ s on the website, salicylic acid or bha could be applied over night as a spot treatment to aid in removing pimples faster. I gave this a try, squeezed like 3 pimples on my face to remove the pus , and applied the bha so that it could penetrate the pimple. It eventually burned my face, left brown marks the next day, started to crust. I peeled of the crust but left light marks that look like small burn spots on my face where I applied the bha. I ve used aloe vera in hopes of having these marks heal and fade, but I don t know what else to do. I was thinking of using olay that has niacinimide because it is suppose to help with discoloration. The marks look awful, can anyone please advice me on what i can do to improve the appearance and have them heal? are the marks permanent?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  2471
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
You have developed post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
If the pigmentation is light, you can wait for a few days.
If it is dark or if you do not want to wait then a suitable combination of hydroquinone+ mild steroid or kojic acid or azaleic acid may be used. Do not start using them without consultation of a skin specialist.
Dr. Ajit Singh Kulhari
MD - Skin & VD
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Md. Harun Ur Rashid's  Response

Thanks for your query and Welcome to HCM forum.

You had pimples on your face and you did chemical peeling by Salicylic acid , then you have got chemical peel-induced postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (dark spots).

Firstly, you have to be patient as the "dark spots" can take several months or more to resolve. So, the marks are not permanent. Topical retinoids, azelaic acid accelerate the resolution. Depigmenting agent like 2% Topical hydroquinone cream (OTC) can be applied twice daily to individual hyperpigmented lesions for greater improvement. Consult with a dermatologist for better management of your pimples.

Hope, this helps.
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Aparna Amritsagar's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
First thing never buy any product after looking at the website. Always consult your doctor.
Never squeez pimple this will aggrevate the acne & create more problem.
Continue using Aloe vera gel, it is soothing to skin & has a healing.
If your face is oily than use a gel based moisturiser, this will help to peel off the crust & fade off the pigmentation.Even after doing this marks persist than consult a dermatologist.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor