Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Any method is there to take food other than food pipe for a patient of GBM?

my mother in-law have GBM stage 4 in brain and she was operated in january 2010 , 2 week ago doctor precriebed her food pipe as she is unable to take anything but she refused it yesterday what will we do her total intake of liquid 500ml per day what will we do
Asked On : Wed, 28 Jul 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  276
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Well, if she has to be force-fed anyway and if feeding through a food-pipe (nasogastric tube we assume) seems to be very difficult or impossible option, then one may think of 'feeding gastrostomy'. It is a small operation by which a feeding tube is inserted into the stomach directly. Feeding through a gastrostomy tube is much more comfortable for a patient than having a food-pipe through a nose. (Imagine both the situations for yourself, and then you will understand.)
Answered: Tue, 12 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
Thanks for the query

Did she refuse the feeding or the food pipe?? Both can be given by restraining her. Food pipe should be inserted either by a trained nursing staff or a doctor.
Feeds should not be stopped by any means. One other way is to mildly sedate her, please ask ur neurosurgeon if that can be done

Have a healthy life

Answered: Mon, 5 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor