Any ideas as to what causes earache while suffering from diabetes and heart disease?

My mother is a 72 year old type 2 diabetic who has had heart trouble in the past. She has been suffering from a very painful earache for several days now. She was first told it was fluid behind the ear, put on antibiotic and sent to an ENT. The ENT found nothing but put her on steroids and Oxycodone, neither of which have touched her pain. She had a CT scan today(per my sisters request) that only showed some chronic microvascular angiopathy involving white matter. She is still in terrible pain but we have no real answers. Any ideas?
Thu, 30 Aug 2018

Is ear pain the only symptom you mentioned? Any associated hearing loss? Any vertigo? any a headache? Any Vomiting?

Possible that eustachian tube block or middle ear infection or ASOM or acoustic neuroma or Meniere's disease etc.

Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. Please get it done MRI brain/ pure tone audiometry or tympanogram then please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Penchila Prasad Kandikattu 's  Response

Possible causes are eustachian tube block or middle ear infection or Meniere's disease or acoustic neuroma or diabetic neuropathy etc. Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. please get it done MRI brain, ear examination by ENT specialist for hearing deficit or audiometry or tympanogram. Then they will treat you accordingly.