Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Anxiety, panic attacks, uncontrollable shaking, involuntary movements. What can I do?

I am a 20 year old woman and I am suffering from bad anxiety and intense panic attacks. I had a horrible one a night ago in which I was so worried that I was having a heart attack or something along the lines of that that I was trying to convince who I was with to call 911. I ve never felt like I had to call 911 for my health before so it was extremely scary for me. I could not breath properly and had uncontrollable shaking and involuntary movements. My chest felt like it was going to burst and that that energy and pain was spreading through my entire body, which felt linked to the intense shaking my body was undergoing. I was not doing anything intensely stressful before this occurred so it felt very instantaneous and unexpected. Other than that I feel extremely stressed out by simple tasks and completely overwhelmed by nearly everything I encounter. I had to quit my job because of this and now I feel helpess at school to a point where I feel I can only give up. My anxiety is ruining my life. I feel like I also am developing alcoholism as a means of calming my nerves and dealing with the overwhelming stress I am experiencing. I know this is the last thing I should do and it probably isn t helping, but I feel no release any other way. What can I do?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  368
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Cardiologist 's  Response
The picture is typical of Panic attack - severe attack of Anxiety at that time .
The basic anxiety is Cardiac neurosis - anxious of heart.
Alcohol will only add a new problem and make the present one worse. Beware. Don't fall into the trap. You are young and you sound intelligent. You have a treatable condition.
Take the support of FAMILY. Good FRIENDS can help. SIMILAR PATIENTS - who had problems before and recovered - they will help. Prayer and Yoga help...
YOU MUST SEE A PSYCHIATRIST. They are specially trained and equipped to deal with such problems. They are thorough professionals with expertise in the field. You have excellent chances of returning to normalcy
You should also see a cardiologist. They will examine, do some basic work-up and exclude heart disease. That will be a big reassurance.

Take care
Good luck
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response

welcome to health care magic

You have given a good description regarding your problem and you are probably suffering from "Panic disorder" in which there are intense anxiety attacks with impending doom.
Get away from alcohol as it will aggravate your problem.
Consult a psychiatrist for proper management as there are effective treatments available like drugs (paroxetine, sertraline etc) and psychotherapies.

Wish you great health

Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a difficult time dealing with your anxiety problem. Your symptoms indeed seem to be indicative of a panic disorder, which is a type of anxiety disorder. Typically, panic attacks occur 'out-of-the-blue' and don't have to be associated with any stress or worry. It is caused by certain neuro-chemical imbalances in the brain. There are very good treatment options available - such as medication and psychotherapy. Please consult a psychiatrist for a detailed assessment and further treatment. There is no need to suffer in silence when there are effective treatment options available for your problem.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor