• question-icon

Anxiety, insomnia, tensed. What is treatment?

Hi,I have had anxiety related issues( insomnia and being tensed and pounding heart beat) in the past(around 3 years back) and had taken treatment for the same for about a year and finally switched over to Paxidep CR12.5 for 3 months and then discontinued all medications . I am on a short visit to Tokyo(from last 3 months)but now I am having Insomnia,though no anxiety. I saw the doctor here and he has prescribed Depas 0.5MG and Eurodin 1mg before bed time. But for me real issue is some days I can sleep without any aid but some days in week I cannot sleep at all. Should I take the medicine for insomnia again or wait for few more months to see if it improves itself. Please help.
Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms, you are likely to be suffering from an anxiety disorder, probably a generalized anxiety disorder. It is likely that the insomnia is just a consequence of your anxiety.

Depas (Etizolam) and Eurodin (Estazolam) are sedative medication and can belp with your insomnia, but they carry a risk of habituation. Since you say that you don't have any anxiety currently and since your sleep problem is only present on some days, it would be better to try without medication. You can follow strict 'sleep hygiene' techniques, so that your sleep rythms come back to normal naturally. I would also suggest that you try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, etc. which can help you with both the anxiety and insomnia problem.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist