Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Anteverted bulky uterus with small hypo-echoic areas suggestive of fibroids. What does this indicate?

hello sir , can you tell me what is the meaning of that sentence uterus is anteverted bulky in size 90*44*58 mm and shows few small hypoechoic areas suggestive of fibroids , largest of size 17 mm in intrmural region of posterior wall. sir i don;t understand that size of fibroids is 17mm. and its suggestion too. please respond
Asked On : Wed, 3 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  259
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum. The scanning report states that the uterus is anteverted bulky, and shows small hypo chromic areas suggestive of fibroids largest being 17mm. Uterus is bulky than what it should be. Because there are hypochromic areas suggesting that there are fibroids biggest among them is measuring 17mm means 1.7 cm. due to which the uterus is bulkey.
Fibroids if not showing any symptoms and not interfering with fertility you can leave them . Treatment comprises Hysterectomy, because the fibroids are in the intramural region. If they are in sub epithelial region or if number of fibroids are one or two fibroidectomy may be prefered, avoiding removal of uterus.
I hope you are satisfied with my reply.thanks for calling.

Answered: Wed, 3 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed's  Response
hello there
Anteverted uterus means its tipped forward and refers to the normal position of uterus so there is nothing to worry. Coming to bulky , it means your uterus is slightly increased in size which might be due to small fibroids you have mentioned.
Fibroids are smooth muscle tumors of uterus, they are benign and very common in reproductive age. They usually regress after menopause. They appear hypoechoic on ultrasound ie greyish compared to hyperechoic things which appear white.
Intramural fibroids are those fibroids which develop within the muscle of uterus.
Size of 17mm means 1.7cm which is very small and nothing to worry about.
Fibroid are managed only when they are symptomatic in the form of heavy or irregular periods, pain abdomen or infertility. Big fibroids can also cause pressure symptoms like increased frequency or urinary retention and constipation.

Incase you have no such problems , you can just leave the fibroids on their own to regress and just follow it up by a repeat ultrasound after 3months. In case they become symptomatic later or increase rapidly in size, you consult a gynecologist personally.

But if you have bleeding problems or any of the above mentioned symptoms, consult a gynecologist now. Get a minor procedure called D&C for irregular bleeding before any definitve treatment like hystercetomy to rule other causes of bleeding especially cancer.

Fibroids can be managed by many procedures which your gynecologist would tell incase you fall in the category to be treated.

Fibroids are best treated surgically if they require treatment.

Newer and noninvasive ways are Magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound and interventional procedures like uterine artery embolization.

As such there is no medication to treat fibroids. The medicine which are used are to control symptoms like for bleeding(eg tranexamic acid) or to decrease the size of huge fibroids preoperatively like GnRH analogs. But they shouldnt be used routinely and for long term.
Answered: Wed, 3 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Shanti Vennam's  Response
Anteverted refers to the position of the uterus with reference to the cervix and anteversion is the commonest position. Fibroids are benign tumors in the muscular part of the uterine wall causing symptoms like excessive bleeding during cycles, pain and pressure symptoms. The treatment of these fibroids depends upon the symptoms and the size. Medical as well as surgical methods of treatment are available. I advice you to see a gynecologist for further management. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 4 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor