Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Ankle sprain, lump on ankle bone, increased pain. Treatment?

i sprained my ankle a few years ago and when i was getting it checked out a lump on the ankle bone appeared, the doctor said it was just a mass and nothing to worry about. at first there was no pain there unless i applied a lot of pressure there but now as the years have gone the pain has increased, my mom says its not big deal but to me it feels like it is. Can you help me figure out whats going on?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  315
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
A lump near the ankle which is non progressive for years is likely to be a benign swelling. It can be due to an osteoma, ganglion, sebaceous cyst, lipoma, etc. The cause needs to be investigated with FNAC, MRI , etc for proper treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 15 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Pradeep Kocheeppan's  Response
few question to be really asked before answering the question is regarding 1 . whats your age and is it less than 30 2. is the swelling or mass even now persisting in front of ankle and we take it like that 3 . what kind of activity that causes pain, even walking causes mild discomfort and we will answer based on these three assumption that you are less than thirty , a small lump in front of ankle is present and pain presents on activity and is mild and not there on rest .
all sprains are not same .
sprains means injury to ligaments and ligaments have a poor tendency to heal .
1. you have either a lateral or medial ankle ligament insufficiency and that comes as mild pain and persists .
2. you could have also sustained a associated cartilage damage in joint ir syndesmotic area which can cause persistant pain
get an xray and an mri of ankle to look for cartilaginous pathology .
get evaluated by a sports medicine specialist for tendon entrapments/ tendinitis around ankle too .
Answered: Wed, 15 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor