Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Ankle injury, popping sound, unable to walk, bruise, swelling. Treatment options?

I was trying on heels and I rolled my ankle and it made a really loud popping sound. I fell over and couldn t get up for a while. When I did, I could barely walk on it. I could walk, but literally like a tortoise and every step hurt so bad. It s bruised now and I can walk a little bit better, but it still hurts like crazy. And it s swollen. What should I do? I m worried about the popping.
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  97
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting your worry.
You are having an ankle injury with mechanism being twisting. This could result in either just a sprain or more complicated to dislocation or temporary dislocation of ankle joints (with immediate reduction or normalization to original position) or fracture of either the distal tail of the fibula or tibia or one of the complex bones of the foot ( very very rare). Also possible is rupture of tendon. The swelling is due to the twisting of muscles which resulted in inflammation. So what to do now? You should visit an orthopedic surgeon or your doctor for close physical examination and an x-ray will be done to determine the kind of lesion you are having. If you are having soft tissue damage (inflammation or rupture) then corrective medical or surgical measures will be used. For the pain you will need analgesics ( orally or locally to massage). If rupture surgery will need to be performed depending of the extend of the damage. To actually diagnosed the type of soft tissue damage a CT scan/MRI might be needed.
If bone lesion ( joint dislocation or fracture), reduction would be indicated and immobilization of the joint with a POP or open reduction and nailing. Which ever method it will be decided by the orthopedic surgeon.
But you should not be alarmed, it might just be nothing to worry about and with a couple of days to weeks, you will feel a lot more better.

Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor