Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Alzheimer s, dementia. On Nuedexta. Is that a good prescription?

Yes, Thank you. I would like your opinion regarding the use of Nuedexta with Alzheimer's patients. I am a clinical psychologist and I have seen an increase use of this drug with one psychiatrist. He has been pushing it and the staff believe in it but I have not seen any studies on the effectiveness with Dementia Patients.
Asked On : Mon, 30 Sep 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  366
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in to us.

Nuedexta (dextromethorphan/quinidine) is an approved treatment for pseudobulbar affect (PBA), a neurological disorder characterized by sudden, unpredictable episodes of crying and/or laughing. These episodes are uncontrolled, exaggerated, or different from a person's true feelings. PBA occurs in people with neurological diseases and conditions such as Alzheimer's, brain injury, or stroke.

Hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 1 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor