Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
183 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Allergic reaction after using Opalescence teeth whitening kit. Is this serious ?

i have had lots of reactions to chemicals in last few years. i went to a dentist and he ordered opalescence a teeth whitening kit. i used it was less than a minute and notices a very high allergic reaction towards it. i think it has hydrogen peroxide . i am also allergic to novacane and carbacane at the dentist office. i never had these reactions before. i was exposed to sulphuric acid in the past. i am wondering if the exposure to that chemical has made me sensitive to almost all chemicals .the reaction is serious where i end up in the emergency room.
Thu, 25 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi,
If by allergic reaction you mean skin rashes, breathlessness-you need a oral or injectable antiallergic with an expert's care.
If the chemicals in opalescence whitner hasonly irritated the mucus membrane of mouthwhich is red & inflammed &sensitive-
-Please stop using it immediately.
- you can apply a soothing agent like Boroglycerine (or other brand suggested by the treating Dr.)Do maintain your oral hygine
- Avoid irritating/spicy food
- take anti histaminic pillalong with antibiotic/anti inflammatary tabs as adviced by consultant.
- hensforward be careful & inform any treating Dr. about your allergic tendency
. Pl. be careful to be carefree.
Thanks.
membrane
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi, it is possible that some people who are not allergic before may become allergic now. Sulfuric acid may not have any effect, but some medicalconditions may bring the sensitive ness. So i advise you to consult a physician for diagnosis and treatment. Thank you.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello. I had my first ever allergic reaction on Sunday evening. I got hives and my face swelled up. I went to the hospital and the put me on a drip...

Recent questions on  Allergic reaction

doctor1 MD

I ve been diagnosed with diverticulitis and am on my second round of antibiotics ( augmentin ). Tried Flagyl but have had an allergic reaction...

doctor1 MD

hi, i m Soumen. from last 5 month i m suffering from stomach problem. as per test report it is due to fatty leaver and bacterial infection . doctor...

doctor1 MD

I've been watching my blood pressure. Sometime its normal, sometime not. My pulse also is doing that. This reading is 137/84 and pulse is 45. I was...

doctor1 MD

hx of stg 3 ovarian ca, chemotherapy over the last 8 yr. Initial surgery 8 yr ago for tumor debulking, 3 yr later sbo surgery. last 3 years fistula...

doctor1 MD

Had a severe allergic reaction* to a combination of prescription drugs including the following Scheduled: opioid , amphetamine , barbituate (or,...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I have started taking Losar 50 since last 5 days for Blood Pressure. Is it a very strong medicine or is it normal one to take since I...

doctor1 MD

I have had allergy testing and I am highly allergic to mold. I have sinusitis and have taken antibiotics but they did not help. I have also tried...