Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Alcoholic and diabetic. Noticed bruising all over body and gums bleed. Suggested for oncologist due to platelet count. Necessary?

Hello I am a 38 yr. old male I have diabites and I am also an alcoholic and have been for 5yrs now but drank alot of vodka for the past 3 years I noticed alot of brusing all over my body and my gums bleed alot I am pale and yellowish the whites of my eyes are yellow and I just had blood work done last week and my DR. is now sending me to a oncoligist because my Platelet count is 35,MCV-100,MCH-35.4,AST-162,ALT-51,WBC-6-10 please help me understand what is going on with me why do I have to see a oncoligist?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thank you for posting your question on Healthcare Magic!

The most likely cause for all of the symptoms that you are describing is your alcohol consumption. As you may know, the liver removes alcohol from your bloodstream. Many years of alcohol abuse will eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver. Your lab tests and symptoms are very consistent with this problem. As the liver becomes cirrhotic, it is no longer able to make blood clotting factors, and this leads to the bruising and bleeding that you describe.

You have not mentioned a reason that would cause you to need to be seen by an oncologist. However, if your physician has recommended this, then it is essential that you make this appointment. There is very likely something that your doctor saw which concerned him very much.

Please find help to stop drinking alcohol. If you continue drinking, you will very quickly develop much more serious medical problems that cannot be cured.

Wishing you the best of health,

Dr. Kinney
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor