Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Alcohol drinking tested by blood test. Alkaline phosphate, SGOT, SGPT levels elevated. What does it indicate?

I was tested for alcohol drinking using a blood test , one in Jan and one recently in May. I was told not to be drinking alcohol during this time. The following was evaluted (and sent to the authorities) was alkaline phophatase (21.4 in Jan, now 69.3), Gamma-GT (7.4 in Jan, now 5.53), SGOT/ASAT: 23.1 in Jan, now 29.6 and SGPT/ALAT: 22.6 in Jan and now 29.2. Would these results indicate that I would have been drinking?
Asked On : Mon, 9 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  123
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

Yes, the values do indicate that the liver was involved in digestion of alcohol.

Well, the values are high enough to indicate that there is liver damage going on.I suggest you quit drinking as it could be harmful if taken any more.

Wish you good health.
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor