Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Alcohol addiction, take alprazolam for depression, have elevated ALT and GGP. Will alcohol abstinence help?

Hello. I m 30 years old, 1.67m tall and weight 71Kg. During the last 4 years, I started to drink daily; the last 2 years I ve been drinking the equivalent of 2 liters of beer (5% alcohol) per day and also take alprazolam due to physical dependence (I had a depression and that was one of the meds I was prescribed). I measured today my ALT and GGP values and they were 54 and 144 respectively. I decided to stop drinking alcohol altogether. Even taking benzodiazepines, can I expect to see those values decrease to a normal level with alcohol abstinence? Thank you very much in advance.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there, thanks for asking. You can continue a benzodiazepine which is absolutely better to be prescribed by your doctor ( to give a benzodiazepine which is not metabolized by your liver preferably and also considering other factors) to be able to tolerate the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol abstinence. Almost in all the cases situation is reversible when it has taken just four years. Alcohol abstinence can lead to improvement from depression as well. You may ask your doctor to check your B12 level since it could be low in alcohol dependence. I wish you a good health.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor