Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

After throat infection my voice was changed. I am having puberphonia

My name is Rajkumar, I am having puberphonia.After the throat infection my voice was changed.My age is 22 yrs, my voice is very deep and it has many to make this voice sweet and permanent
Asked On : Sun, 16 Jan 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  1484
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, I am Dr Sonia S V. I am an ENT Surgeon & Head & Neck Specialist.First of all we have to make sure there are no structural abnormalities in your vocal cords.An ENT Surgeon can determine this by examining your vocal cords by a procedure called a laryngoscopy.This can be done with a special endoscope or with laryngeal mirrors.This is a simle painless and quick examination which can be done in the ENT Doctor's consulting room itslef.If your vocal cords are normal by structure [ that is no vocal polyp etc] then you can be treated by speech therapy which has high success rates.

All the best
Dr Sonia Suprabha Venugopal
Consultant ENT Head & Neck Surgery,Bangalore
Answered: Mon, 17 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Sanjay Kumar's  Response

Hi Raj kumar

I am agree with Dr.sonia's sugestion.Apart from this the knowledge which may help you are:

During puberty in males the mass and length of the vocal fold increase and the pitch decreases. Few of the people although having the appropriate vocal fold mass and length after the puberty, but they are not able to switch to the new low pitch voice (male like).Mostly its reason can be usually long time habits from childhood, speaking into a high pitch voice. In this case only thin edges of vocal cords vibrates and also the whole length of the vocal cord does not vibrate.

Puberphonia can be very easily treated by voice therapy (vocal exercises) given by speech language pathologist/speech therapist. Duration mostly can be 1-2 week sometime more and that also needs expertise in voice therapy of the therapist. For details please click on:"".

Who are the speech language pathologist /Speech therapist?
These are the professionals trained for the assessment and treatment of all kinds of communication disorders. They should have the following qualification:
B.Sc. (Hons )Speech and Hearing/B.Sc. Speech and Hearing/Bachelor in Audiology and speech language Pathology(BASLP)
M.Sc. Speech language pathology/M.Sc. speech and hearing/ MASLP
Certified by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) to work in India
Although in India bachelor degree holders are also eligible to work as speech language pathologist/ speech therapist, but in developed countries like US minimum requirement is master degree. DHLS is diploma course in the field of speech and hearing and these professional are trained to work as speech therapist assistant/audiologist assistant. They are not speech therapist or audiologist and they can only work under the supervision of speech language pathologist/speech therapist/audiologist.

Sanjay kumar
Speech Language pathologist
An AIIMS Delhi and AIISH Mysore Alumnus
Answered: Wed, 23 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor