Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

After birth of my baby not getting milk to feed, do I need to do something ?

I have 4 kids and the youngest is about 1.8 years old. After the birth of my baby I did not breast feed him as I was not getting milk. Now after pressing the breasts some milk comes almost regularly. I want to know whether it is normal or do I need to do something about it.
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,  
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response

some times breast milk will not come immideately after delivery but you need to try feeding the baby. if the baby keeps on sucking then there is a strong stimulus for the milk production and it will increase the milk production. take good amount of green leafy vegetables everyday and try to feed the baby even if milk is not comming.

  User's Response
pedro's  Response
This due to hormonal disturbance of PROLACTINE hormone. You should get done your serum prolactine level and should consult some endocrinologist. If you want to be pregnant again, thios breast secretion should be controlled with tablets.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi I need advice, I gave birth to my baby two months ago and she had to spend a week in hospital when she was born, during that time my breast milk stopped and I never got the chance to breast feed her, is there any way of getting my milk flowing again or is it to late, i really need your help

doctor1 MD

i was completely breast feeding my child in the first one month. towards the end of the first month my baby girl started crying a lot and her sleep reduced drastically. Many a times she would be in a drowsy state but not go to full sleep. When i took her to the doctor, the doctor found her underweight( birth weight was 3.17 after one month her weight was 3.62 the doctor was expecting something around 4 to 4.2)The Pediatrician asked me to supplement her food with 2 feeds of lactogen. i did the same, but her crankyness and crying surely reduced, but didnot fully go. When i went to my gynac 1 and half month later she also gave me Lactare tablets and a powder to increase milk. i took the same but found no improvement.So slowly i started increasing the number of feeds of lactogen and reducing my feed. My baby was happy, satisfied and sleeping well but of course gaining lot of weight. Now when i left my home town and came back to mumbai and visited a new doctor for my child s vaccination(2 months 10 days) he insists that i should relactate and has given me Maxeron. He also insists to top feed only useing spoon. I am strictly following his instruction but my baby is cranky and crying again. She is satisfied only if the top feed quantity is same as her complete lactogen quantity which i used to give without my feed. Does it mean i have no milk coming? what should i do? feeding the entire quantity with spoon instead of bottle is really painful? need a second opinion? Please guide.

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I am a father of a baby girl. He was Born in 45 days ago. she is now 3.2Kgs. We started giving simyle mct after 8 days her birth , as my wife does not have sufficient to feed her. Could you please recommend which is good for my daughter. Lactogen-1 or Nan-1 . regards

Recent questions on  Lactation

doctor1 MD

may i ask a question
I am suspecting early pregnancy " first day of last menstrual period is 41 days ago" that was my first menstrual period after 1 year of lactation amennorehea.
So I am lactating now. My question is
If I take Lutoflone ampule one or twice, shall this induce abortion/??

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I just got my health check up done. Attaching the reports for evaluation as few parameters are out of range. 2 weeks before the tests I had started a high protein low carbs diet which I am still continuing. I had given birth to a baby...

doctor1 MD

I have been having very less flow during my periods and it lasts for two days then one day gap and sometimes one or two days after the gap i have very mild flow or just spotting. It was like this for a few months. Then i checked my thyroids. It...

doctor1 MD

Is it possible to lactate while not or ever being pregnant?

doctor1 MD

HI,I m a female of age 31 years and married since last five years.around 15 months back on 1st aug '09 i visited a gynaec in mumbai(parents place)to see if everything is normal about me as i plan to conceive.he asked for a sonography and blood tests (thyroid function tests,prolactin,complete blood count, urine tests, blood sugar fasting, blood group).everything showed normal with prolactin count 24.56 ng/ml and sonography report where both the trans- abdominal and trans- vaginal scans were performed showed the uterus is bulky with a solitary right lateral subserosal fibroid measuring 3.3 x 2.8cms,rest no other significant abnormality seen in the pelvis.

He then asked me to go for HSG Test,which when i took,the report said uterus cavity is normal in size and configuration.

no filling defect is seen

both fallopian tubes are patent.

DR. told me to try and i will be able to conceive naturally,so with good hope keep trying. And that after Hsg test first six months are very good to conceive.

after a year on july '10 i went to another gynaec in chennai(my residing place, in-laws place) with all my previous reports.

He saw the reports and clarified that my prolactin should be below 5 to conceive and so put me on cabergolin treatment,o.5 mg once a week and checked if I had breast secretions which i was totally unaware of before that day.On squeezing there was clear water like secretions from both the breasts.

I have been taking cabergolin since then.and in between thorough check up with the Dr. and the new BLOOD TEST REPORT taken on 25th aug '10 showed LH 5.30 mlU/ml F.S.H 5.6 mlU/ml and Prolactin o.5 ng/ml.

Dr. prescribed Clome 100mg for 5 days from the 2nd day of my period.and the follicular study showed evidence of ovulation .and then prescribed Duphaston 10 mg for 10 days and Bifilac for 1o days from the 16th day of my period. then on 10th sep I suffered from measles,whereby was told to stop all medications and meet Dr. after two periods.THE then blood test report of 20th oct'10 the second day of my period showed FSH 6.0, LH 6.60, Prolactin 16.9.again started with cabergolin treatment , clome 100 mg for 5 days and follicular study showing evidence of ovulation and rupture properly.And then report on 17th Nov '10 LH 3.52, FSH 5.14, PROLACTIN 1.21 ,i m still not getting pregnant till now though my period cycles are very regular 26-28 days cycle.

The Dr. examined my breasts again on this 2nd day of my period on 14th dec '10 and on squeezing there is still breast secretions from both the breasts,.Dr.says the report may not be correct since he presumes the prolactin is still high , as I m still lactating.

now what could be the reason behind all these difficulties faced in conception.

Also to your knowledge ,I suffered abcess problem on both the breasts last year in Nov '09 near aerola part which was very painful and my family physician who treated me put me on so many medicines which only after removing the pus from the area after continuous squeezing day and night at regular intervals(twice a day)and application of Dine ointment put me to relief and helped me get rid of it.

doctor1 MD

iam a lactating mother. but now working ,unable to feed child .He is of 4 month and feed to cows milk as well as lactogen no. 1 .now adays he facing problem of constipation and his stools are also white in color instead of yellow .he does lacterine many times in a day .what should i do for his good milk digestion

doctor1 MD

Im a lactating mother of a kid 9 months old my first period was on the end of the 6th month of lactation. I didnt get my periods after the last time (19th dec) I had spotting for about 4 days the first week of february I suspected pregnancy and took tests (even two days back) and were negative Could I be pregnant?