Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Affected by alcoholic cardio myopathy, mild diabetic, stopped alcohol. How long can i live?

I am 59 years old and affected by alcoholic cardio myopathy . My EF is 40% . I have completely stopped alcohol. I want to know whether I can do my normal walking exercise. Also how long I can live . I am a mild diabetic and on glynase MF before food. My H1bc is only 6. Is complete abstinence from alcohol will help to reverse the present condition. My cholestrol levels are normal. Also whether I can have normal sex life.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
I am glad to know that you have stopped alcohol,but there is damage to heart and may be other organ also, your cardiac function moderately affected and follow advise of your cardiologist regarding drugs.
You have to take diabetic diet salt restricted diet and fluid as permitted by cardiologist
There are very good drugs to control Cardiomyopathy like ACE inhibitor,Beta blocker as tolerated and Levocarnitine,and cardiac nutrients.
Please take care of diabetes keep it under strict control.
Your HbA1c is good so continue to take drugs as advised by your doctor and monitor by monthly FBS, PPBS and HbA1c every 3 months.
Once you are healthy and fit you can have normal sex life if there is no Ischemic heart disease, you can take drugs to have normal life.
Complete stoppage of alcohol will help, how much it will reverse only time will tell.
Take care
Good Luck.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gopal Krishnam Raju's  Response
complete abstinence from alcohol will help to reverse the present condition
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor