Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Addicted to oxycodone, hydrocodone. How to get treated?

Hi...My question is actually for my son.He is addicted to painkillers, Oxycodone , hydrocodone and may be taking other drugs as well...he is taking suboxene or something like that.He is not under a drs. care because he has no insurance.He tells me he is buying them on the street! what can i do to get him started under a drs. care for this and what facilities would u recommend to help him get his life bacK!! THANK YOU!!!
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  192
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern regarding your son's drug abuse. Since you say that he is probably addicted to multiple drugs, it would be best to get professional help for treating his addiction problems.

Treatment for addiction problems are in two phases - detoxification (where the aim is to treat the withdrawal symptoms of the drugs)and deaddiction (where the aim is to help the person stay off drugs and prevent any relapse). Treatment can be had in an out-patient / clinic setting or an in-patient setting.

When the person has severe problems and is not well motivated, an in-patient deaddiction / rehab program will be more appropriate. So, I would advise you to take your son to a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and planning further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor