Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Addicted to alcohol. Is Disulfurum safe to use?

Hi, I need to know Disulfurum is safer to use for my relative who is very much addicted to alcohol. And we have to give him without his knowledge bcoz if he come to know he will not take it. In this case can we put in tea and give daily? And also pls. let me know is there any side effect like vomitting blood or anythig else if he drinks alcohol after taking medicine? Pls. help me by answering on this.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, please do not give any medicines without the advise and prescription of a doctor. Especially, medications like Disulfiram should not be given without knowing the indications, actions or possible adverse effects.

Disulfiram is a deterrent medication used in the treatment of alcohol addiction. But it has to be prescribed only with the proper voluntary consent of a motivated patient. When a person who takes Disulfiram consumes alcohol, it can cause a reaction which can be very unpleasant and sometimes, even dangerous and life-threatening. So, please do not give your relative any such medication without consulting a doctor.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Tue, 22 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor