Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Acute viral hepatitis. Done with Bilirubin, sgot, sgpt test. Taking medicines. Consult hepatologist?

hello doctor ...... i am suffering from acute viral hepatitis and my bilirubin count is 14.7 mg/dl and sgot count is 1117.0 u/L and sgpt count is sgpt 2580.0 u/L .sir tell me the risks ? i had counsulted the doctor and taking medicines as the doctor directed. Someone told me that becouse of my sgpt and sgot counts are very very high..... so i should consult to a hepatologist. Sir i want to know that if i will recover from the medicines and diet (as advised to eat in hepatitis) or i should consult to a hepatologist??? I am 19 yrs old and does not drink but smoke some times.......
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  83
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
The values of the liver transaminases that you did are actually very high and very confirmatory of an acute inflammatory process in the liver. Some of the acute liver hepatitis episodes usually fade away without any complications. However, a good number do evolve into chronicity and might require an active follow up and monitoring. It s critical to know exactly the cause of this hepatitis. Is it viral (B or C, A, D), toxic or other, for different causes have different management approaches and outcomes.
I suggest it is imperative that you consult you gastroenterologist for a diagnosis and drawing up of an appropriate individualized management plan depedndng on the cause.
thanks and hope this helps.
Best regards, Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM, thank you for your querry.
These are very elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin, but this is common in viral hepatitis. But, I suggest to visit specialist and do liver ultrasounds. In extremely rare cases acute hepatitis may lead to fulminant liver failure. YOu should rule this out by ultrasound and further tests. Till that, follow hepatoprotective diet and rest.There are some specific medicines but you ll know is this necessary after you see specialist. Wish you good health sir.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Gastroenterologist Dr. Charles S Narasi's  Response
Hello, ankuryadav19993,
Thank you for your quiery. I am very concerned about the level of
liver enzymes and the Bilirubin level. You mention Hepatitis diagnosis,
but I am not sure of the type, whether A,B or C. Most likely , if it was
from eating or drinking contaminated food or drink ,it will be Type-A.
90-95% who contract this heal completely without any permanent
damage to the liver. About 5% may progress to severe liver disease
and go into liver failure ,coma and die.
It is possible your hepatitis might be at the peak and should start getting
better within the next couple of weeks. At this stage, you need to limit
your physical activities, eat a very high protein diet and also take vitamin
supplements. I recommend Vit-C 1000 mg, Vit-Super B-Complex once a day
and also 800 i.u. of Vit-E daily. Limit your fat intake. Avoid fried or greasy foods,
and snacks. Fresh fruits, Ice cream, yogurt , rice, wheat, lentils are all O.K.
I am glad that you don't drink alcohol. Cut smoking , bad for your lungs with
risk of cancer.
Get your blood tested once a week and see if the levels are going down. If
they do , you don't have to worry. On the other hand , if they keep climbing,
you should definitely consult with a liver specialist .
I wish you the very best.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor