Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Abscessed tooth, tingling in the face. Taking clindamycin. Will it recover fast?

My lower right tooth abscessed the dentist has put me on clindamycin ..i started it lower jaws hard as a rock..almost feels like a small ball in my jaw to chin ..i am getting the tooth extracted as soon as the infection is gone. I am also experiencing tingling inin my face. My question is will all this clear soon or are the meds not working..thank you
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  295
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
hi brittany
reading your query i will suggest you to drain your abscess asap else it will get worse and will lead to tissue space infection.
use antibiotic augmentin 625mg thrice a day,along with metronidazole 400mg twice a day for one week and a painkiller
once infection subsides go for root canal therapy or extraction according to condition.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there ,

The painful lump or swelling you can notice under your chin is nothing but the abscess cavity bulging extra orally and it drains the pus in the oral cavity.

painful lumps may arise from infected tooth or cysts or abscess arising from the jaw bone.

This type of periodontal abscess needs to be drained and compressed in position and then followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesic will subside the symptoms of pain and swelling.

once the abscess is drained the infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure to devitalise it permanently and save the tooth or of the prognosis is poor the tooth can be extracted.

get an x ray done the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm forum,

The medicines are prescribed to relieve pain temporarily.
To relieve the infection permanently,abscess has to be drained and curetted.
The abscess will drain out once the tooth has extracted.
The extraction socket has to be curetted well after tooth extraction.
Frequent warm saline as well as betadine rinse may be helpful.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Complete course of antibiotics has to be taken.
Use chlorhexidine mouthrinse to gargle.
Take care.

Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth infection had spread to the periapical tissues leading to formation of abscess that had bulged extraorally through the chin.

This type of abscess need to be drained followed by the course of antibiotic and analgesic.
I would suggest you to take x-ray of the tooth , once the abscess is drained the tooth can be root canal treated or can be extracted depending on the condition of the tooth.

Take complete course of antibiotic and analgesic, continue with same antibiotic
Use lukewarm saline gargles 3-4 times a day , use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Visit to your Dentist and get the treatment done .

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor