Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Abscess on the cheek bone due to tooth infection. Pain in the eye and ears. Will it affect the rest of the body?

hello my name is ruby and ive had a tooth infection for over a year now havent took care of it due to no insurance but the abscess is located under my cheek bone closer to my eye the pain has gotten so bad it affects my head eye and ears. i was just wondering if i should start to worry about it affecting the rest of my body and how would i iknow
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  264
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,

The abscess has formed due to accumulation of pus associated with progression of deep dental caries.
This can even affect your systemic health too.
I would suggest you to get a thorough clinical and x-ray examination.
The abscess has to be drained either thro' root canal treatment or by extraction of teeth.
Antibiotics can be administered to subside underlying infection.
The pain will subside once the pus as well as infected pulp has removed.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain and cheek swelling indicates infection in the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissue leading to abscess formation.
Pain in the ears and eyes can be radiating pain from the infected tooth.

I would suggest you to get the clinical evaluation of the tooth, take an x-ray,
Get the abscess drained by the Dentist , unless the infected tooth is devitalised, disinfected and sealed to the apex you may experience pain and swelling .

Take tab amoxiclav 625mg twice , tab zerodol twice, alll this for five days.
Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi there ,

According to your history i can suspect your infected tooth has gone worse and you have developed a periodontal abscess due to spread of infection to the underlying tissues.

The lump or swelling you can notice is nothing but the abscess which may drain in the oral cavity.

This type of periodontal abscess needs to be drained and compressed in position and then followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesic will subside the symptoms of pain and swelling.

once the abscess is drained the infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure.

you need to get an x ray done the affected area to confirm the presence of infection, approach a dentist for the treatment.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor