Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, rib cage pain, headache, back pain. Had gall bladder removed. Done CAT scans. Cause?

I am a 59 year old female. I have been having cronic pain in the upper right abdomen, under the rib cage for approximately 3 years. I have had many tests and doctors have been unable to diagnose. The pain is worse when I sit for any length of time so I stand a lot or lay flat with my hands over my head to elongate my body. The pain wakes me up from a sound sleep many times each night and is constant throughout the day. I can only lay on my right side for a few minutes before the pain intensifies. At times there are stabbing pains but mostly a constant dull pain, sometimes through to my back. I have not been able to identify any association to digestion or specific foods. I had my gall bladder removed in 1989 and tests have not revealed any stones when the tests were taken. I have had Catscans, MRI, ultrasounds and blood and urine tests. I need to find the cause of this pain so that I can treat it. I don't want to live on pain medication. Do you have any suggestions as to what can be causing this pain and possible treatments?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum.
Thanks for calling H.C.M.Forum.
You have got a pain in upper right abdomen at rib cage, not related to food, or food timing,It is dull pain and aching when you sit or in sleep. You got operated gallbldder in 1989.
It appears to be the pain of pull, means may be due to adhesion, or herniation. For diagnosis you may need to get leprotomy ( opening abdomen and searching the cause.) as M.R.I, and C.T.scan failed to find the cause.
I advise you to consult a general surgeon for diagnosis and treatment.
Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.
Best regards.
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor