Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, gastric problems, severe cramps. History of acid reflux. Cure for symptoms?

i have had acid reflux a several years and from time to time I have abdominal pain down low that gets pretty bad it is not a new problem then gas starts and I get pressure in lower area followed by painful cramps and then I must go to the bathroom and pass this mostly is worse at night can anyone give any info on this? Also this comes and goes sometimes I wont have problems for months besides acid reflx everyday
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  513
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
I interpret that you have two inter-related problems.
First problem is of acid reflux and the second is that of occasional cramps with pain in lower abdomen.
First talking about the acid reflux problem, some measures to be taken are:
1. Reduce your weight in case you are overweight
2. Eat light food at night. Avoid spicy and fatty food especially at night
3. Take a stroll before going off to bed. There should be atleast two gap between dinner and sleeping/ lying down
4. Do not skip breakfast
5. Avoid excessive beverages like tea, coffee, alcohol
6. Take regular light exercise
7. Whle sleeping raise the head end of the bed or use a high pillow
8. Take a proton pump inhibitor- Rabeprazole 20 mg preferably befor meals
9. Take the medicine for around 15 days along with othet measures mentioned above. If these measures are not taken then the symptoms will re-appear once you discontinue thw medicine

Regarding your other problem I would like to know whether these symptoms appear after consuming a specific type of food especially dairy products like milk, milk products etc. If yes then it may be lactose intolerance.
If not then it may be an irritable bowel disease.
The exact cause and diagnosis and hence management can only be done after clinical examination and appropriate investigation.
You may require an ultrasound abdomen and stool examination.
Consult a gastroenterologist for further work up.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Wed, 28 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor