Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, dyspepsia, burning in chest. Endoscopy showed ulcers, on medicines but in vain. History of duodenal ulcer surgery. Advise?

Good mng Doctor. I am BC Patro from Bhubaneswar, I have been operated for ch duodneal ulcer 35 years back . Now I am suffering from abdominal pain , dyspepsia , since about 2 months and burning sensation in chest, stomach, for the last 10 days. Endoscopy was of UGI done twice since two months , and ulcers were detected . I have taken Pentocid it cap 1 tab twice daliy and sucralfate Susp 2tsp 3 timesa day for abt 30 days and followed by pentocid dsr twice daily since 10 days . But i find there is not much releif . pl advise me .
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  110
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Sir,

I have gone through your problem.

History of surgery done for chronic duodenal ulcer 35 years back and now having ulcers. You didn't mention whether the ulcers are present in the stomach or duodenum. Because malignancy (cancer) can occur with gastric (stomach) ulcers whereas it is very rare with duodenal ulcers. I think the ulcers are present in the duodenum because if they are present in the stomach, your doctor might have taken a biopsy from the ulcers.

Even in spite of using Pantocid IT and Sucralfate syrup also you are not getting any relief. This is probably because of your high acid outputs. You may need to get BAO (basal acid output) and MAO (maximum acid output) levels. These levels are important because if the levels are high then you may need to be evaluated to rule out Zollinger - Ellison syndrome.

My advice is to consult a Gastroenterologist and follow his advice.

Good luck.
Answered: Sat, 27 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor