Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, chest pain. Gallbladder removed. Have had pancreatitis. Help?

I ve had pancreatitis before and they took out my gallbladder , just the other night I had a severe attack and I couldn t even take my self to the Er, emsa had to come and get me, I m also getting pain in my left side of my chest on into my shoulder blade, they did a ct scan and blood tests and nothing came back, they released me with unknown abdominal pain , I go to a specialist Thursday, any ideas what s happening? I m getting real tired of these pains!!!
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Upper abdominal pain and left chest pain radiating to your shoulder blade can be caused by heart problem. And this should be ruled out at first. To do that, heart ECG and heart enzymes should be checked.

It is also possible that there is a stone in your bile ducts and it is causing your pain. Usually gallstones are invisible in the CT, that is why abdominal ultrasound should be done. Do not know what blood tests were performed but you should have GGTP and AP checked (usually elevated with bile ducts stones).

Upper GI endoscopy should be also done to rule out peptic ulcer. If no findings in ultrasound and blood tests, ERCP procedure should be also considered (to contrast pancreas ducts and bile ducts).

Hope this will help.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal pain associated with left side chest pain should be always checked with heart attack. Especially if you also suffer with shortness of breath and stress during this attack.

Other possible reason of your symptoms are stones in bile ducts or pancreatic duct. When the stone obstructs this ducts, you should have upper middle or right abdominal pain radiating to the back, nausea, vomiting.

Peptic ulcers and urinary tract stones should be also ruled out.

I suggest you to have heart ECG performed and if any heart problems detected, you should see cardiologist for further investigation.
Abdominal ultrasound should be also done (CT wont visualize stones), liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), bilirubin, amylase, lipase, urine amylse, urine analysis. If GGTP or AP will be elevated or stones present in ultrasound, ERCP procedure should be performed which will cure your disease.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor