Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

AST and AlT high, exercising, very few drinks. How can I drive back to normal?

I just got bloodwork back and my AST level was 161. My ALT was only slightly high at 51. I am concerned with the AST. I am a 34 yr old woman that rarely exercised, and drank several drinks per day. I have now ceased drinking, and am going to be exercising regularly. If I keep this up along with healthy eating, will I be able to get my AST levels back to a more normal level, and how long might I expect that to take? Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  264
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thank you for posting your question here, I will try to answer it as best as I can.

The steps you have taken are in the right direction, yes you need to exercise and stop drinking. But you also need to change your diet, increase carbohydrate intake and reduce protein intake, also you can take some vitamin supplements, they are known to help.
You can also talk to your doctor about him prescribing you with some anti inflammatory drugs for your liver.
And last but not least you need to make up follow up appointments, so that the level of AST & ALT can be monitored to check whether they are decreasing or not.

I hope this answered your question.
Answered: Sun, 30 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor