Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

ADD, severe anxiety and stress. How can I get prescribed with Valium?

I was wondering how I can get prescribed Valium by my doctor. I am a 19 year old Male and was prescribed 30mg Adderall XR in May of 2012 for my, just then diagnosed, ADD. I have always dealt with high anxiety, but recently it has gotten to a point that is distracting in my life. I am afraid to ask him and have him think I am some druggie, when I m not and I m afraid he d say something like the adderall is supposed to help with that. Please help! I am extremely stressed about this situation. Also, I think I may have generalized anxiety disorder but have never been diagnosed. Anything you can say about that would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  240
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear dsoullie,
Hi! Your concerns about your health are very natural. You have got all rights to discuss your health with your doctor including the need to take valium. Actually for anxiety symptoms, though diazepam (Valium) will help you symptomatically, there are better options than taking Valium. Discuss with your psychiatrist about taking some SSRI's along with your routine drugs. Also benefits of CBT and psychotherapy cannot be over emphasized for you. Trying seeing your psychiatrist soon and do discuss your concerns in detail with him/her.
Hope i could solve your concerns.
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with your anxiety symptoms. Valium/ diazepam is a sedative that transiently controls anxiety symptoms. There are specific anti-anxiety agents like SSRI group of drugs that provide long lasting control of these anxiety symptoms by correcting your brain chemical levels. Also psychotherapy (eg cognitive behavioural therapy) is available to manage the anxiety symptoms. Hence, i suggest you consult your psychiatrist to discuss on the above options. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor