Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

9 year old with jaw and ear pain. Ear infection confirmed. Not responding to pain medication. Thyroid problem?

My son, WM 9yo, has been complaining of an nagging jaw pain and ear ache. We have seen the pediatrician and she has confirmed no ear infection twice, the dentist confirmed of no cavity or TMJ, We have tried anti-biotics and and ibuprofen or Tylenol, the only relief is via Benedryl. The pain lasted fro 5 days and he was pain free for 2 weeks and he complained again this morning. My biggest concerns are any bone cancer, or Thyroid. He tends to get hoarse quickly since childhood.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  41
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query. I understand your concern.
It maybe related to the jaw bone or the temperomandibular joint.
Kindly do an Xray of the area and consult an orthopedic surgeon for advice.
It can also be related to salivary gland blockage specially the parotid gland.If the X ray is normal an ultrasound of the local area could help.
It is too early to think of cancer.
Thyroid problems do not cause symptoms like this.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor