Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

87 year old, Surgery done to cauterize blood. Heart rate low, had platelet transfusion. Suggestions?

My 87 year old father was admitted to hospital 4 days ago following traumatic injury to prostate from aggressive catheterization 6 hrs prior to an excessive bleeding event. Surgery done to cauterize bleed 3 days ago. Has become unresponsive and HR fluctuating from 35-105. Had platelet transfusion 2hrs ago. Any idea what might be happening. I an RN but not familiar with this situation.
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

I think it is simply a response of the body to the excessive bleeding.

Heart rate is fluctuating mainly in response to the bleeding to cover for the low blood pressure.

Platelet transfusion also signifies excessive bleeding which doctors are trying to control with platelet transfusion.

Answered: Tue, 27 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor