Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

75 year old with a fractured vertebrae after a fall. Need pain medication

Hello,I m female, 75yrs. took a bad fall in kitchen throwing me 53ins. into regrigerator door, then back-same distance into kitchen wall. Fractured my C-4 vertebrae. Dr. has taken away usage of Vertical Collars. NO surgery necessary. I m trying to find which OTC pain relief is useful, OTHER than Ex. St. Acetamine. I m Diabetic, take Amlodipine for b.p. I m still having pain in chin , where a Hematoma courred in the fall. This fall was Nov. 7, 2012 Was taking Lortab, no help anymore. Pain is about a regular 5 to 6. Fran
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum. From your description it appears that the fracture was crack fracture, still you have swelling in the chin and you are feeling the pain means it could be psychological, as it is commen in such cases and at this age, of course it also possibility of remnant pain .
I advise you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for pain relief. He may give you medicines covering actual pain and psychological factor. Besides i advise you to practice diversion procedures as yoga, meditation, gardening etc .
Besides i advise you to follow some diet recommendations as avoid using potato , other tubers, tomato, cauliflower , coconut, egg, chicken, fish and other sea foods for some time as these are said increase the pain.
Wishing for a quick recovery from pain, and thanks for calling.
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Zainab Hassanali's  Response
hello fran,
welcome to healthcare magic,
you could try taking tramadol its a strong painkiller and it can help with the pain that you are going through.
as you are diabetic and hypertensive wouldnt advise to take non steriodal anti inflammatory as they have side effects to the kidney and as you have chronic illness you could have kidney injury.
hope to have answered your query.
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gustav Gous's  Response
The safest OTC would be paracetamol based pain killer , but even this you should not abuse as it can cause liver damage at too high levels. I suggest you also try alternative medicine like Arneca both available in rub and tablet.
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor