Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

74 yr old fell, had minor bruises on knee, hip, elbow, seems normal. Should I watch for internal bleeding ?

HI, my Mum who is 74 was knocked over by our dog yesterday while out walking him on the street. She fell on the pavement and bumped her head. She has a few minor bruises on her knee , hip and elbow . The bump on her head came straight out, about the size of a large egg. She was very shaken up. When I finally got her home she said she was fine. In the afternoon she just felt tired and a bit of a head ache. I gave her ibuprofen . In the evening she had a hot bath and went to bed. Before she went I asked her all the normal questions; She said she had no headache , didn t feel dizzy or sick, she s walking ok and said she really didn t need to go to AnE. I m just worried about her because of her age. She is also on Thyroxine (75mg). Is there any other thing I should watch for, especially in the case of internal bleeding? Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 4 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for asking.
What we are supposed to watch out AFTER a head injury, are
1. Altered sensorium(any change in the level consciousness)
2. Focal or generalized fits
3. Bleeding or Discharge from Ear or nose
4. vomiting
5. Inability to use a body part say, weakness of a limb
6. Any visual problems, such as blurring of vision or double vision.
7. New deafness in one or both ears.
8. Unusual breathing patterns
If any of the above mentioned symptoms are seen post-head trauma, we shall have to suspect an internal bleeding and seek Medical attention immediately.
As for your mother concerned, as you have mentioned she is doing well since there is no headache, doesn't feel dizzy, able to walk and responds to your questions.
Whatsoever, remember the points mentioned above and for bump on her head any Non steroidal anti inflammatory drug (NSAID)like ibubrufen, can be given with T.RANITIDINE 150mg twice a day as the NSAID's may irritate stomach mucosa. Also topical ointment for the bruises with proper aseptic measures.
take care,
Dr.K.Muthukumar MD
Answered: Tue, 4 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor