Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

71 years old, MRI showed split cord abnormality. Physiotherapy helpful?

I am a 71 year old female. Today I saw a Neurologist at the University of Washington in Seattle. My MRI showed split cord abnormality. I went to see this Doctor because I m in alot of pain and I hate to increase my pain medications . He said I should see doctor that deals with sports injuries. The appt. is in the works. Also some phyicial theropy may help. He was reluctant to consider surgery because of my age. Would like your opinion. thankyou, Maryellen Person
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.
I agree with your doctor. Split cord abnormality (diastematomyelia) is generally a congenital condition, and presents with symptoms in early childhood. So, if you have remained almost asymptomatic till now, surgery may not be needed (not considering the risks involved in a spinal cord surgery).
So, I think physiotherapy is the way to go.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email:
My blog:
Answered: Wed, 24 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor