Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

70 years old women has low hemoglobin & high iron count

My mother is 70 years old, she is loosing weight, her himoglobin is low and her Iron is high. Doctor said she needed blood but can t give her because of high iron. Any advice? E.Baker
Asked On : Mon, 29 Aug 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  278
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Does your mother have any medical illness. Any previous blood transfusion. She could be having haemoglobin problem like a kind of Thalassemia or Sideroblastic anaemia. She may need to get all her indices for blood done like TIBC, Serum Ferritin, Transferrin saturation, Hb electrophoresis to find out if Thalassemia and also if possible bone marrow study. After finding the cause, the correct treatment can be given. If she has Sideroblastic anaemia, sometimes Pyridoxine may help. Let her eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water.
Answered: Mon, 29 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor