Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

70 years old, have intracerebal bleed to brain. Is there any chance of getting cured?

My father, 82 had a intracerebal bleed to brain, termed massive from doctor 8 days ago. We have given constant stimulation, talking, rubbing arms, etc. Food is nil by mouth. However, yesterday he opened eyes and seemed to stare at us particularly my 80 year old other. My brother and I would like to be realistic and although we are positive and after yesterday very pleased, is this a positive step forward? could you kindly give me further facts on your experience reference prognosis . Thank you
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Neurologist 's  Response
A massive intracranial bleed in an 82 yr old man is not a good thing. If he has not regained senses even after 8 days then it further indicates possibility of poor outcome. To be realistic I would give very few hopes of a meaningful survival even if he recovers from the unconsciousness. At present nursing care will be most important apart from the neurological treatment. That he opened eyes and stared is definitely a good sign and does indicates improvement. We should hope for the best possible recovery.
Good luck.
Answered: Thu, 31 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sanjeev Goyal's  Response
welcome to HCM
as per discussion your father had brain hemorrhage.
Intra-cerebral hemorrhage (ICH) is the most devastating type of stroke with the greatest mortality rate
as my experience in ICH patient most critical periods is first 10-12 days.where brain edema and herniation are major issue once this period over there are less chances of mortality although morbidity persist for long time
prognosis depends on many factors like
co-morbid medical conditions,age of victim,size and site of haemorrhage,haemorrhage volume,serum glucose level,any extention to ventricles ( spaces containing fluid)
take care and wish you good health to your father
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor