Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

7 yr old can't stick his tongue out due to extra skin. Any problem in future?

My son is 7 year s old and we noticed he can t stick his tongue out because of the extra skin under his tongue. It has not obscured eating or speech in fact my son loves too sing! I am concerned this may effect him when he is older when he gets married. Will it effect him being able to kiss later on? Is it better to get it taken care of as a child rather than as an adult?
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Dear Mum

It is important to know if there is any speech difficulty especially with some alphabets like 'T', P and L. If there is a significant tongue tie, leading to difficulty in protruding the tongue, it needs to be evaluated by a pedaitric surgeon. If there is forking of the tongue due to a tight attachment, it needs to be released. It is much better and easier to treat in the small child compared to an adult. THe majority of tongue ties do not need surgery but the severe ones will be benefited from a procedure.

Dr Antony Robert C
Consultant Pediatric surgeon
Columbia asia hospitals
Answered: Thu, 15 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Sagar Mhatre's  Response
What you mention it seems as tongue Tie,
It is treated by small surgery,
You have to get opinion from Pediatric surgeon.

Hope my answer helps you.
Wish a speedy recovery for your kid.
Answered: Thu, 15 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor