Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

7 year old not growing tall. Thyrofit and shelcal prescribed. Is this proper treatment?

Hi Doctor!. My Son is 7 years old. His height growth is not good, he is now 99 Cms. weight is 25 Kgs. Food intake is good. Playing is good. Every thing is good, But growth is very less. When consulted an Endocrynologist in Hyderabad, India has given Thyrofit - 20 mcg tablets daily one, Shellcal 500 mg. each one, pentocid - 20 mg, two per day. Some growth is found during the last 4 months. Is this treatment is sufficient? or you may suggest any further treatment for child growth. Is there any side affects with the above medication in long run. Please give me a detailed reply, for which I am thankful .... Pasha, Hyderabad, India.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Hi Pasha,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

As per the CDC growth charts your child weight is ok and it is within normal range.

Coming to height, your child height is less that 3 rd percentile means his height is low.

The causes of his low height should be evaluated.

The common causes of short stature are familia, constitutional, and pathological short statures like growth hormone deficiency, hypothyroidism, and others.

Child needs physical assessment.

Child needs evaluation with investigations like thyroid profile, growth hormone estimation as these conditions are treatable if they found abnormal.

If the child have any growth hormone deficiency, growth hormone has to be started.

If your child is having hypothyroidism, this treatment is sufficient and usually there are no side effects with his present medication.

Therefore I advise you to monitor his height regularly and do further evaluation if required depending on the advise of your Pediatrician or endocrinologist.

Hope I have answered your query.

As you are from Hyderabad, you can consult me for further evaluation if it is possible.


Dr E Venkata Ramana,


Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor