Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

7 year old having enlarged rib cage. Diagnosed with anemia. What are the further tests to be done?

I will start by thanking you. Actually I have a seven year old kid (girl) and I have realised that she has a hard distended tommy. Eventhough I talk of tommy, I have the impression its more of an enlarged rib cage. She is a naturally calm(I think) person and don t very much play like her friends of her age but would rather sit infront of the tv watching cartoons. She was born normally and weighed 3kgs but from her first anniversary she barely has the wieght for her age. She was diagnosed of anaemia last august. Eventhough I m very much aware of the fact that she needs further examination I don t have the courage to do so.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  16
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response

Thanks for sharing about your problem, it is the first step in getting your little girl to get better. Firstly, the anaemia would partially explain why she barely has the weight for her age. It is important to find out the cause of the anemia as this would need to be corrected. Usually the reasons are simple and easily treated BUT you would need to take her for further examinations. Please do not be afraid as the cure is not more scary that the possibility that your little girl will continue to suffer from a condition that can be easily treated.

It would be useful if you could post a pictureof the enlarged rib cage as you call it. It may even be a sign of rickets or could be a normal variation. If you could post a picture, i would have a better idea. Please revert back if you need any clarifications.


Dr Antony Robert Charles
Paediatric surgeon
Answered: Fri, 7 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor