Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

6 year old boy having blisters on side of genitals, itching. What could this be?

my son recently had a blister on the side of his genitals. i thought this was the cause of his underware being to tight. i got him new underware and he didnt complain anymore that was about 2 months ago. tonight he came to me and showed me there are more very small blisters along the right side of his genitals and under them. he says they itch and are starting to hurt. he is 6 years old. im not to sure what they could be or if i should see a dr. this is the first time this has occured.
Asked On : Thu, 25 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  81
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Jul 2012
Hi there Kristen.

Yes if it is a 6 year old child in question, please do take him across to a Dermatologist!

One can suggest a lot of creams on this portal but they will at best be emperical.

You say the rash resolved the last time with a change of underwear. Agreed. But, is it possible that this is a different sort of rash (appears so from your descritpion) & if so, may have a different connotation.

I find 'insect bite reactions' most common at this age & infections come in second.

However, you may want to consider taking good clinical photos of the area & getting in touch with me directly by name on this portal & uploading the snaps for discretion & we can take it further if indeed it is difficult for you to reach a dermatologist. You can use our 'Ask-A-Specialist' segment & request for me.

In the interim, please do use a common 'diaper rash' cream containing zinc oxide to provide immediate relief together with desloratidine 5ml that is a non-sedative antihistamine...both need not require a prescription.

Cheers & hope your son is soon A-ok!

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist
Vikram Hospital, Bangalore, India
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Manjeeta Nath Das's  Response
it seems you son is having some kind of infection.Please maintain general hygine.Keep the area dry and please show a doctor .
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman's  Response

Yes you must see a pediatrician/ dermatologist for this.
Its difficult to diagnose unless one sees the lesions.
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor