Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

50 year old showing changes in behavior,not taking proper diet and rest, getting angry without any reason. What is wrong?

hello sir. i am nivedita .. i want to discuss about my mother .. she is 50 year old .. she is nt normal or behaving normal from some 3 years.. she has changed alot she s not taking proper food and rest .. used to pray alot and behaves very rudely ... whatever we do she always gets irritated.. she refuses to see a doctor and dnt accepts that she is not well.. she is litle stubborn since her childhood but now she used to get aggressive for her stubbornness.. she used to mind each and every thing and feels insulted for no reason.. she dnt take much care of hygine and do whatever she feels correct .. never listens to anybody and used to argue.. other than these things there are many more she used to do .... please suggest what is she suffering from and what can we do for her ....
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern regarding your mother's psychological problems. Now, increased irritability and anger, mood changes, poor food intake, poor self care, etc. in elderly persons could be indicative of a depression. However, we need a detailed history and a proper psychological assessment to make a definitive diagnosis.

I would suggest that you take her to a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological evaluation and further management. Don't worry, there are effective treatment options - in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help overcome you mother's problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query!
People at 50 yrs develop such kind of abnormal behaviour and this period is called senescence. The perimenopausal period can be adding up to the trouble. However if such symptoms are causing you and herself distress, then it is a cause of worry.
There could be two common reasons for such kind of behaviour. One could be a depressive episode which needs to be diagnosed by a proper interview by a psychiatrist. The other concern can be a alatent Dementia. Does she forget things often?
In either case you need to see a psychiatrist who will interview her in detail and advice you some medications and psychotherapy.
Hope I have answered your query.
I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In future if you want to discuss with me directly you can use the link:
Wish you a good health!
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor