Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

48 years old having unstable blood sugar level. What should be done to get cured?

hello Doctor, My father in law has been experiencing very unstable blood sugar levels and I recently came across the cures for diabetes on the internet. He is 48 years old and we are really interested to get him cured. is it possible for his age? could I get more information about the cure of Diabetes? Where are these cures available?
Asked On : Thu, 20 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Diabetologist 's  Response
Aug 2012
Dear Noella,

If a person gets diagnosed to have type 2 diabetes RECENTLY, there is some chance- say about 20 % that the person can be cured of diabetes with very very strict lifestyle measures like diet and exercise, reduce weight healthily and his remaining insulin secreting beta cells start functioning normally and that person can be called 'cured' of diabetes as long as he/ she follows the healthy lifestyle and does not face any major stress in life.
But unfortunately when a person has diabetes since more than a year and he/ she is dependent on medications to reduce blood glucose then it is unlikely to cure his/ her diabetes but it is certainly something fully controllable with good lifestyle and proper medications to the extent that the person lives all normal life.
The literature you have read about cure is mostly under investigation yet. There has been no 100% curative therapy approved by the FDA for type 2 diabetes.
If you have read anything in alternative medicine, I would warn you from such advertisements as they have not been approved by any authorities and they have not gone through any standard clinical trials to show their universal effects on public.
If your father in law is obese then there is a way called bariatric surgery whereby many people have gotten cured of diabetes for many years after the surgery. Please read more about it as an obese patient certainly gets benefitted out of it.
If your father in law has fluctuating sugars and he's thin then unlikely any surgery is going to help him.
Please do not get carried away by any ads but be supportive to him for following all the advices his healthcare team has given him to follow. I hope you understand. Take care.
Answered: Fri, 21 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor