Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

48 years old female suffering from diabetes, taking insulin

Hello doctor , our Doctor suggested my mother to take insulin injection. she was 48 years . she took insulin for couple of days . but yesterday she had a test for suger, the level was 8.2 and 356. what can do further . please suggest me
Asked On : Thu, 13 Jan 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  159
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Diabetologist 's  Response
Hi Rama! I am Dr Karthick. From the levels you had suggested I believe you meant that her HbA1c was 8.2% and PPG or random blood sugar level to be 356 mg/dl. Yes, I almost accept with the doc who had suggested her insulin injections as at a level of 8.2% and 356 mg/dl she has to have her glucotoxicity reduced and then probably after a fortnight or a month later she could go for further analysis of her blood, after which we could titrate her dosage of insulin or go for oral anti-diabetic agents. The best part of her history seems to be her age and I believe she is very recently diagnosed with diabetes. If that is so, then you have good news in that she need n't continue her insulin shots. Instead she can go for oral medications like metformin and probably an add-on. I would also suggest her to go for lifestyle modification in the form of exercise and small-frequent meals and low glycemic index foods. Take care.
Answered: Fri, 21 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor