Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

4 year old showing lack of interest in studies and concentration. What is the problem?

i have 4year old son. He recently (from last 6 months) started talking short sentences. in most of the matters his intelligence is lower than 2year old kid. lack of concentration, curiosity, interest in studies. all his classmates are learning 3 to 4 letter words where as my son is still in alphabets. he is shy boy, plays with very well known family people. health wise he is normal. what is his problem ? can he become an intelligent boy ? what should i do ?
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Children develop differently and have different talents and interests. He may be quite intelligent but have difficulty grasping certain areas, this does mean he cannot learn.
There are guidelines which specify the goals or the expected developmental level at the different ages. You can consider taking him to his pediatrican to find out if he is at the appropriate level, explain your concerns.
In some children , it is a matter of hearing, visual difficulties or difficulties grasping certain ideas.
If the doctor finds that there is developmental delay based on international expectations , then she may advise an educational or other assessment.

Be patient with him, go slowly, praise him for what he knows and when he tries. Read alot to him and when you do, point to the words as you read, place cards labelling items around the home and go through them with him.

I hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Every chid has his own style of temperament, some will be very active, some will be shy.
So it is very difficult to compare one child with the other.One will be fast and another child may be slow.
So consult your Pediatrician for evaluation and if necessay for referral for his developmental screening.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor