Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

38 year old suffering from illusions and depression. Hearing voices. Treatment?

My widowed mom aged about 38 yrs. is suffering of some illusions and always depressed.she can hear things which we cant hear.she thinks the neighbours are talking about her badly.she shout very loudly to reply for that voice.she doesn t sleep at day or even in night.she forget her laugh long back.pls there any treatment for this.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. Talking to self and hearing voices that others do not are referred to as auditory hallucinations and hallucinatory behaviour. These are symptoms of psychotic illness. Effective antipsychotics are available to deal with the condition. I would suggest a thorough psychiatric evaluation followed by appropriate antipsychotics for management. Sedatives can be precribed for sleep difficulty.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hello ~ It seems like your mother is suffering from a form of psychoses known as schizoaffective disorder, although it might need to be explored into further with a detailed history. It is suggested that you consult a psychiatrist as soon as possible. It may also be the case that she is suffering from a form of depression along with psychosis which would need immediate psychiatric and psychological attention. Medications with therapy or counseling is known to be helpful with these conditions. In any case, I suggest that you consult a psychiatrist for your mother (preferably take her to see the psychiatrist as well). I hope this helped. Take care.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani's  Response
you are advised to take her immediately to a qualified psychiatrist as the symptoms you are describing suggests schizophraenia may be paranoid type and she needs medication to controll her symptoms.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor