Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

35 year old with G6PD deficiency. Frequent vomiting. Blood transfusions done. Any permanent cure?

Doctor my brother (35 years old) is G6PD deficiency patient. We knew just before few years. At present vomiting comes frequently to him. If there is any treatment to him. From the age of 25 till now we transfused 80 units of blood . Whether there is any treatment to stop hemolysis Whether there is any complete cure for G6PD deficiency patient
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for posting your query.
As your brother is having G6PD deficiency which is an inherited disease causing hemolytic anemia. Vomiting may be due to viremia/ acute viral illness as people with G6PD deficiency are prone to infections. However, there are some drugs and irritants that may trigger heamolysis and present with abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting.
These drugs and substances include primaquine, salicylates, sulfonamides, methylene blue, pollens and fava beans. for more visit (
Treatment is supportive and transfusions are needed in crisis. Patients are advised to avoid infections drugs or substances that initiate hemolysis.
Consult you doctor for further information.
Hope it helps.
Take Care!
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor