Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

34 year old diagnosed with thyroid problem. Have a family history of the disease. Can this be cured or do I have to take medication lifelong?

I m 34 years old Lady......I ve undergone thyroid test last week..........T30-0.88,T4-9.70 and TSH-9.190,earlier to this I didn t had Thyroid Problem.............because 6 years earlier also I got the thyroid test done but that time it was mother also has thyroid problem from the past 4 years................What precautions I ve to take and If medication is taken regularly can it be cured or I have to take medication lifelong............
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  206
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, Shiney,
Thanks for query.
At present continue the medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Afterwards thyroid became normal then you will be put on maintenance dose of thyroid medicine.
That you have to continue for life time.
Thyroid can be controlled with the medicine but can not be cured.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pulmonologist Dr. Shashi Dangwal's  Response
Your TSH is mildly increased which means your thyroid is under performing. This condition is called hypothyroidism. I wonder if you are having symptoms of hypothyroidism like lethargy, excessive sleep, weight gain, constipation, sensitivity to cold etc. You have to take thyroid medicine-Thyroxine 25 mcg. daily. The dose of thyroid medicine is titrated by regular monitoring of TSH. Generally once started, it has to be taken life long and as mentioned above, dose has to be adjusted by monitoring TSH level.
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

ENT Specialist Dr. Jyothi Kumari's  Response
You have may need to take eltroxin is only hormone replacement,dont consider it as a drug.You will need to check at least TSH 6monthly and titrate the dose of the same.A Thyroid peroxidase antibody estimation may also be done..if high,this is probabaly autoimmune,which entails lifelong thyroxine replacement.
Answered: Thu, 9 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor