Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

32 year old have worn out cartilage and mal-tracking knee caps. Fulkersons osteotomy suggested. No kids. Born with dislocated hips. Advice?

Hi there, should i go ahead with fulkersons osteotomy? I am 32 female and haven t had kids yet. I have been told that due to mal-tracking knee caps i have worn away half of my cartilage on both sides. The surgeon i saw briefly said that my knees are really bad and that they would do one side first and the next 4months later...If i don t, i will apparantely end up like an 80 year old in 10 years time but to be honest i have rapidly gone from being a very active person to feeling like an 80 year old and in major pain already...on a weekly basis is gets worse & worse. I was born with dislocated hips and am finding that they have become very painful since my knees have deteriorated so much. I am awaiting MRI for hips & sacral too. I just want to get back to being my normal active sporty self - am i doing the right thing? Is this the best overall route for me to take? Many thanks,
Asked On : Sat, 1 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The necessity of surgical treatment depends on the degree of deformity you are having. MRI reports will help in a better evaluation. The osteotomy is likely to increase your knee stability and will decrease your symptoms.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Wed, 5 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor