Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

27 year old with high blood pressure after an accident. What should I do?

Hello, I am 27 of age and just recently I was involved in an accident and had my blood pressure checked and I found it to be 160/110. I do not really check my bp so I do not know for how long it s been like that. It was pretty high for the few consecutive days after the accident. Now that I am better it s gone down to 120/85 but at times (twice a week) it goes up to 140/90 again. I am a sports person and hence I was not expecting this result. Could you advise in what would be best for me to do please?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
Dear patient, at the time of accident your BP could have gone up because of pain, anxiety and apprension which is a normal physiological response of the body and hypertension is not a transient rise in blood pressure but a persistant rise in blood pressure and if your BP level of 140/90 persists for three consecutive readings recorded about a week apart in the absence of pain and anxiety and recording had been done after about 15 minutes of rest then probably you got boder line hypertension . For a blood pressure level of 140/90 intially no medicines are generally given but attempts are made to decrease the blood pressure through non pharmacological means like
low salt intake ,
daily exercise for 1/2 hour to 1 hour 5 days a week,
low fatty diets,
avoidance of smoking ,
weight reduction and if blood pressure remains high i.e more than 140/90 after 6 months of attempting above measures then only medicines will be needed to lower the bloob pressure . However you can have a consultation with a physian for regular BP monitaring and for some investigations to rule out secondary cause of hypertension which is generally common for hypertension in young people i.e less than 40 years of age, like renal function tests, thyroid function tests etc
wish you good luck
Dr Arshad
Answered: Fri, 22 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor