Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

25 year old suffering from frequent attacks of shingles. Reason?

I am a 25 yr old female experiencing shingles for the 4th time in under 2 years. When I first had it, it was on my trunk and ribs and was fairly severe. The second time, I thought I had an allergic rash because it was on my elbow and forearm area, but the doctor diagnosed it as another shingles out break. The third time was in the same area of my arm and was the exact same symptoms so I did not go to the doctor as I do not have insurance, I just took the antivirals I already had. I just notices a spot on my arm yesterday that has been burning and itching, and this morning I see that the blisters have started to form again. This will be the 4th time in 20 months with the three occurrences on my arm all happening in under 12 months. I am concerned because of my young age, and because of the frequency or occurrence.
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query.

recurrent shingles is seen in immuno compromised persons.

Please get your HIV test done.

Another thing is that common herpes can also present as shingles.

Please meet a dermatologist for exact diagnosis.

Treatment with anti virals is required for a prolonged period to give best results.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

you can ask a direct question to me on this forum, following the below link.

Wishing you a good health.
Thank you
Answered: Tue, 30 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor