Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

23 years old suffering from raw rice addition & have belly pain. How can I stop eating raw rice ?

hi am vila 23 years old am suffering from raw rice addition since am fifteen. I do 2 mouth surgery beacause of broken teeth all my teeth are dead. i have belly pain.. difcficulty to sit,to walk.. feel out of breath sometime. The thing is that iwant to stop. I ve try lots of time but i can . I have difficle menstruation. I eat raw rice all dat long if i dont eat i can t sleep i even have get insomnia problems. the think is that i want to stop but how ?
Asked On : Fri, 25 Mar 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  347
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Vila,

Thanks for trusting HealthCareMagic with your query.

Your problem seems to be a very rare kind of addiction.

Based on the information provided, it seems your are motivated to give up this addiction as you appear to understand the fact that it is hurting your body physically. It seems that you are struggling psychologically as well.

I guess first and foremost, you should get yourself checked physically as raw rice can cause some physical issues and some of the problems of menstruation could be due to other unrelated/related issues. An opinion from physician or gynecologist might be helpful.

Next comes the issue of addiction. I suppose one method could be to use Exposure and response prevention strategy. The basic principle would be to expose you to raw rice which will possibly induce the desire to eat it and then have someone stop you from eating it. During this process, you might experience significant restlessness and anxiety. If you are motivated enough and know relaxation techniques, try to be in this situation for approximately 90 minutes or when you feel your anxiety is wearing off without any additional help. You will realize that gradually the intensity of your craving is reducing and after sometimes start doing it yourself. You can take the help of a clinical psychologist in this process.

The role of medication would be very limited. However, I believe consulting a psychiatrist to explore other psychological issues (if any) can be of further benefit.

Hope this will be of some help.

Best wishes,

Dr. Amardeep
Answered: Wed, 17 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
your diagnosis of addiction may be right if you feel that your craving is high nad if you avoid it you experience significant distress. But most of the physical ailments mentioned may not be associated with this behavior. But one thing that is very claer is that you seem to be experiencing high levels of stress which is affecting both your physical and psychological wellbeing. so consult a clinical psychlogist at the ealiest to assess your stress level and contributine factors to the increased level of stress. since you seem to be motivated cue control techniques may be effetive in bring control on the addictive behavior. CBT may also be very effective in hanling all your behavior and hbait related problems. So seek help of a clinical psychologist at the earliest

Clinical Psychologist
Answered: Mon, 22 Aug 2011
  Anonymous's Response
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Raw rice addiction does not have a treatment in Allopathic medicine you will have to control it on your own.If it is available & you trust then you can start on Homoeopathic medicines Calc.Carb-30 & Cina-30 take it for 1 month twice a day then see.Better even you can consult a Homoeopathic doctor for constitutional remedy.
Answered: Fri, 25 Mar 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor