Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

23 year old with chest pains

For about week I have had a dull ache right in the centre of my chest. It comes on suddedely without cause and feels like it is winding me at times. Sometimes I wake up with it. It comes and goes and lasts about 2-3 minutes each time. At first I thought it was heartburn but now im not to sure as it doesn t happen after eating and feels nothing like it. I have no other symptoms such as a cough or anything. I am fairly healthy, not overweight but i am a smoker. Does any know what this could be, could it be heart related? Should I be worried as other then the pain I feel fine?
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
First of all, you DO need to go to the Dr. But I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. It's probably GERD (Reflux Disease) which would be exacerbated by the smoking by the way. Reflux doesn't have to be just after eating. My bet is that, whatever it is.. it's probably related to the upper gastro-intestinal track and most likely easily fixed. HOWEVER: GERD that goes without treatment is the leading cause of esophageal cancer, which is deadly and with the smoking, you're at even a higher risk. So, the first thought is still an important one... go see your Doctor ;-) ---- I doubt it's pleurisy... Pleuratic traumas are usually sharper pains and are persistent, not "come and go." Also, shortness of breath is also associated with pleurisy.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor